Does Broadband Access Impact U.S. Farm Productivity?
Blake Szilvay looked into this question. He found a report filed by the FCC and offers these items to answer the question. The information referenced was found in a working paper titled “Impact of Broadband Penetration on U.S. Farm Productivity” written by Katherine LoPiccalo for the FCC on December 15, 2020.
Better Broadband helps with:
- Increased online marketing of products
- Better comparison shopping for inputs, machinery, and even credit
- The adoption of precision agriculture heavily depends on high-speed internet access
Precision ag can be grouped into 3 categories (all rely on good internet in one way or another)
1. Monitoring and sensing applications
- Yield and soil data
- Drone technology
2. Variable rate technology
- Increased accuracy and efficiency
3. Data management systems- Communication and transfer of collected data